H.R.1: For the People Act of 2019
For the People Act of 2019 (H.R. 1) is a sweeping democracy reform package that aims to restore voting rights protections, fight special interest money in politics, and ensure lawmakers are held to a high ethical standard.
Key provisions in the measure would:
1) Require presidential candidates to release their tax returns.
2) Establish online and automatic voter registration and restore felons’ voting rights after they complete their sentences.
3) Require states to use independent commissions to draw congressional district boundaries.
4) Authorize grants to states to strengthen election systems.
5) Expand requirements for independent groups to disclose their donors and political expenditures.
6) Define prohibited coordination and spending between super PACs and campaigns.
7) Create a six-to-one public funding matching system for candidates who receive small donations.
8) Expand government ethics rules for White House and executive branch personnel, members of Congress, Supreme Court justices, foreign agents, and lobbyists.
Reduce the number of Federal Election Commission (FEC) members to five, from six.
S.949 is the Senate companion bill.View Full Overview