S.1947: College for All Act of 2019

Overview

The College for All Act (S. 1947) would provide new funding for states to make all public colleges and universities tuition and fee-free. Under this bill, the federal government would cover 67 percent of the cost, with states and tribes being responsible for picking up the remaining 33 percent by creating a partnership grant program to provide $48 billion annually to states for the purpose of eliminating undergraduate tuition and fees at public institutions. The bill would also cancel $1.6 trillion in student debt for 45 million Americans. Aditional, the bill would provide $1.3 billion annually year to eliminate or significantly reduce tuition and fees for low-income students at two-and four-year, private nonprofit Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and private nonprofit Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) that serve a student body that is composed of at least 35 percent low-income students.

The $2.2 trillion costs of the bill would be paid for with a Wall Street transaction tax of 0.5 percent on stock trades, a 0.1 percent fee on bonds, and a 0.005 percent fee on derivatives.

H.R. 3472 is the House companion bill introduced by Rep. Pramila Jayapal

View Full Overview

Our Stance

Support

Priority

High

Bill Number

S.1947

Date Introduced

June 24, 2019

Committee

Senate Finance Committee

Bill Status

Introduced or Prefiled