S.1964: Patsy T. Mink and Louise M. Slaughter Gender Equity in Education Act of 2019
S. 1964 would require the Department of Education (ED) to establish an Office for Gender Equity (OGE) to support state and local educational agencies, elementary schools, secondary schools, and institutions of higher education, in prohibiting discrimination based on sex in federally funded education programs or activities. The OGE would provide grants and perform actions to reduce or prevent discrimination, harassment, or violence based on sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or childbirth in all areas of education.
The OGE would be authorized to award $80 million in grants annually, from 2020 to 2025, to eligible educational institutions for the following purposes:
• Train students, teachers, faculty, and personnel.
• Increase campus resources, facilities, and course offerings.
• Support Title IX coordinators in performing outreach, advocacy, and education.
• Identify patterns or systemic problems in title IX compliance.
• Strengthen prevention education and awareness programs.
• Conduct campus climate and victimization surveys.
• Identify gender inequities.
H.R. 3513 is the House companion bill.View Full Overview